• Pitt Home
  • Registrar Home
  • Contact


The Registration Services department is comprised of a team of staffers whose goal is to provide immediate assistance to students relating to the class enrollment process. While most students will register themselves for classes through an online system, the staff is available to offer personalized assistance to answer any questions about the use of PeopleSoft, enrollment policies and procedures, and who to contact to obtain special permissions for certain classes. In addition, students who need to update personal information such as social security numbers and legal names need to submit those requests through the Registration Services department. This team works closely with advisors, faculty, and administrators to ensure student records are accurately maintained.

Anyone can use the Pitt Class Search found here.
Instructions for Pitt Class Search can be found here.

Active Pitt Students can also search for classes via their Student Center. Log into my.pitt.edu, click on Student Center Login (you should now be logged into PeopleSoft), navigate to Self Service > Student Center, and then click on the green "Search for Classes" box on the right side of the screen. Enter the Subject (i.e. MATH, COMMRC, etc.), the 4 digit catalog number, and the campus. If you do not know the catalog number, you can enter a Course Title Keyword. Open classes are designated with a green circle. Closed classes with a blue box. You should click on the Section Link (i.e. 1010-LEC(11676)) for Class Details. Some courses may have Enrollment Restrictions, which are listed in the enrollment information on the Class Details.

Shortly before enrollment begins each term, a complete list of all classes to be offered is posted at Schedule of Classes as well. This list is updated daily.

Cross-registration is a program through the Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education (PCHE) that provides an opportunity for enriched educational programs by permitting students to attend courses at any of ten participating colleges and universities. These institutions are:

Cross registration is available to full-time undergraduate and graduate students registered at a PCHE institution in the fall and spring terms. There is not an additional tuition charge to cross-enroll; however you may be assessed course fees by the host institution. The earned grade and units will be transferred to the home school. The academic policies of the host institution prevail. It is the responsibility of the student's home institution to determine that the prerequisites for a class at the host institution have been met.

Cross-registration does not apply to part-time students or during the summer term at any of the PCHE institutions. In these cases, students would follow the "Temporary Transfer Student" procedure, agreed to separately by the PCHE institutions. These students are liable for all tuition and fees assessed by the other institution.

University of Pittsburgh students may automatically enroll at any of the other University of Pittsburgh campuses (Bradford, Greensburg, Johnstown and Titusville) at any time.

Students can view their class schedule any time by logging into my.pitt.edu, clicking on Student Center Login (you should now be logged into PeopleSoft), navigating to Self Service > Student Center, and then clicking on My Class Schedule under Academics on the left side of the page.

Effective for the spring of 2015 registration period, waitlists are now available on undergraduate labs and recitations and their associated lecture sections.

When seats become available in a closed class section, the class remains closed until a process runs that automatically enrolls students from the waitlist. The class remains closed until the waitlist empties or the enrollment capacity has been met, whichever comes first.

If a student does not meet the criteria to enroll in the class, the process will select the next student on the waitlist according to their position number.

Students that were on the waitlist and were not enrolled will maintain their position number. Students will have an opportunity to be auto-enrolled the next time a seat is made available, if they resolve the issue that prevented them from being auto-enrolled previously.

If the waitlist process runs and no students are enrolled, then the class will open and other students will be given the opportunity to enroll (even if there are still students on the waitlist that did not meet the criteria to be auto-enrolled).

If there are no students on the waitlist, the class will open as usual when seats are made available.

Please note the following:

  • Students cannot be waitlisted for alternate lab/recitation sections if already enrolled in a lecture and lab/recitation combination, unless they are also attempting to get onto a waitlist for a different lecture section. Since enrollment into lectures and labs/recitations must occur simultaneously, students would have to give up their seat in the lecture section until space is made available in the closed lab/recitation.

  • Students can be waitlisted for multiple sections of stand-alone labs.

  • SWAP should not be used to attempt to get on a waitlist for a closed lab or recitation, if students are already enrolled in the lecture associated with that closed lab or recitation. Students will be dropped from their enrolled class and placed on the waitlist for the lecture until a seat opens in the closed lab/recitation, since students cannot be enrolled in a lecture section and waitlisted for that same lecture simultaneously.

Additional information regarding waitlisting can be found on our Waitlist FAQ page

Catalog Number identifies a particular course within an academic program. The range of numbers which identify the academic level of a course are:

  • 0001 - 0999 Lower level undergraduate courses
  • 1000 - 1999 Upper level undergraduate courses
  • 2000 - 2999 Master level graduate courses
  • 3000 - 3999 Doctoral level graduate courses
  • 4000 - 4999 Non-Credit courses
  • 5000 - 5999 First professional program courses (Medicine, Dental Medicine, Law)
  • 6000 - 6999 Undergraduate career development
  • 9000 - 9999 Graduate career development

Enrollment Procedure Notes

  • As you select your classes, they are added to your shopping cart. In order to enroll, a student must complete all steps of the process

  • Adding a class to the shopping cart does not hold a seat for you

  • Multiple career students should consult with advisors from both schools to determine which career they should enroll in for a term

  • Undergraduates cannot enroll for more than (18) units and graduate students cannot enroll for more than (15) units without the dean’s approval. Only an advisor or the University Registrar’s Office can enroll you after you receive approval for the additional unit(s)

  • Students cannot enroll in courses that meet at the same time

  • If at any time during your enrollment process you encounter a problem, contact the University Registrar’s Office or your advisor

  • Students receiving financial aid should make sure they are enrolled in the minimum number of units required to qualify for aid

  • Add a Class Instructions
  • Drop a Class Instructions
  • Edit a Class Instructions

The enrollment appointment is the day and time when a student can begin enrolling. Once a student’s enrollment appointment begins, adding, dropping, or editing classes can be done until the end of the add/drop period. Students can view their enrollment appointment date and time by logging into my.pitt.edu, click on Student Center Login, click on Self Service, and then click on Student Center. See below for additional enrollment appointment information.

  • Enrollment appointments are assigned according to credits completed. Those students with the highest number of completed credits will be given the earliest appointments.

  • Students cannot enroll in classes prior to the date and time of their assigned enrollment appointment.

  • Enrollment appointments are not assigned for the summer term; students can begin enrolling on the first day of the summer term open enrollment period.

  • Enrollment appointments cannot be changed.

    Students who were not assigned an enrollment appointment should contact their Dean's Office to initiate the process of getting an enrollment appointment. Dean's Office staff should follow the steps outlined in the New Enrollment Appointment Request Process guideline to request an appointment for a student. Requests for new enrollment appointments will be accepted if students were not assigned one due to any of the following:

  • - Student previously applied to graduate and was denied
  • - Student has returned from active military duty
  • - Student has internally transferred from a school that did not use appointments (New!)
  • - Student was admitted/readmitted after appointments were assigned (New!)

The Advisement Service Indicator (ADV) is a hold that is placed on all Undergraduate (and some Graduate) student records each term prior to the beginning of enrollment that will prevent students from adding, dropping or editing their class schedule until it is removed by their advisor. Students can view their advisement service indicator by logging into my.pitt.edu. Click on Student Services, Link to Student Center, Self Service, Student Center. See below for additional Advisement Service Indicator information.

  • Students must contact their advisor prior to enrolling in order to have their advisement service indicator removed.

  • All other holds that affect enrollment must be cleared prior to enrolling.

  • Students who do not have an advisement service indicator should consult with their academic advisor and can enroll during their assigned enrollment appointment period.

The Enrollment Worksheet is a helpful tool that students can use to organize their class schedule prior to enrollment. To print an enrollment worksheet, please click here. To expedite enrollment, the following four pieces of information are beneficial.

  • Class Number (5 digit number that represents a specific lecture, lab, recitation, seminar, etc.)
  • Subject (ex: HIST)
  • Catalog Number (ex: 0100)
  • Units

  • PREQ - A course or courses that must have been taken and passed in a previous term. In-progress courses will fulfill the prerequisite.
  • CREQ - A course that must be taken during the same term as the course for which you are trying to register or has been taken and passed in a prior term.
  • LVL - Based on units in-progress or completed. For example, Junior, Senior, Greater than Freshman
  • PROG - the school in which you are enrolled. For example, UA-S (Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences), ENGR (Swanson School of Engineering).
  • PLAN - Your major, minor, or certificate. For example, History Majors, Music Minors, or Global Studies Certificate
  • SBPLAN - Forensics (Administration of Justice SubPlan), School Leadership (Administration Policy Studies SubPlan)
  • MIN GPA - Some courses require a minimum overall Grade Point Average to enroll.
  • MIN GRADE - Some courses that are required as a prerequisite must have been passed with a minimum grade if the course has been completed. If you are currently taking the prerequisite courses you may still enroll in a course that has a minimum grade requirement.

In order to register for a class that requires department/instructor consent, has requisites that have not been met, is full, or is outside a student’s academic career (i.e. undergraduate student taking a graduate course), a student must request permission from the department offering the course. If permission is granted, the student will be given a Permission Number. The permission number can then be entered when adding the class.

With the consent of the Dean's Office and instructor, students may choose to audit a course. In order to audit a course, you must register and pay tuition for the course. To audit an undergraduate course, undergraduate and graduate students must obtain a Grade Option Form from the Dean's Office of the school offering it. This form must be signed by the instructor of the course and returned to the Dean's Office by the stated deadline. Students wishing to audit a graduate course need to speak with the instructor. The audit grade (N) is not counted toward graduation or the GPA.

The approval and signature of your academic dean is required on your Enrollment Form if you enroll after the official end of the enrollment period. In the fall and spring terms, if you are a continuing student (a student who was enrolled in the same school at the same career for any term within the last calendar year), you will have an earlier enrollment deadline than new and readmitted students. Continuing students who enroll after the published deadline for continuing student enrollment are assessed a $25.00 Late Enrollment Fee. Continuing students enrolling after the deadline for new and readmitted students will be charged a $35.00 Late Registration Fee.

In the summer term, all students (continuing and new) have the same enrollment deadline dependent upon the session(s) in which they are enrolled. If you enroll after the established deadline, you are assessed a $25.00 Late Registration Fee.

If you enroll after classes have begun, you reduce your time to determine whether you wish to remain in a class. All add/drop decisions must be made and the Enrollment Form processed by the established deadline.

You are automatically liable for a percentage of the tuition if you resign from the term. Most students who drop all of their classes before the end of the add/drop period are released from financial liability. More information can be found on the Resignation Info page. You can also call a special resignation service phone line at (412)624-7585, which operates 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays.

Occasionally courses are cancelled by the academic department offering the course. You will be notified via your Pitt email account of this cancellation. This class will automatically be dropped from your class schedule within 2 weeks of notification or you can drop the course through self-service. In addition, a change may occur in the building, room number, day, or time a class meets from the time you process your initial enrollment or add/drop. If a change of this nature occurs, it will be reflected in your on line schedule for that term. If you notice any problems or discrepancies, contact the Registration office, G-3 Thackeray Hall. Students enrolled in the College of General Studies should refer problems to 1400 Wesley W. Posvar Hall.

You may drop all of your classes through the last day of the add/drop period. If you do so, all of your course-related charges and fees will be cancelled. You can also drop all of your courses by contacting the Student Appeals Office.

If you should decide to leave the University after the add/drop period has ended, you must resign through Student Appeals, and your charges may be prorated. You may resign in person, by telephone at 412-624-7585, or by mail with the Student Appeals Office. More information can be found on the Resignation Info page.

The University of Pittsburgh consists of several academic schools and tuition rates may vary among them. If you are an undergraduate student enrolled for 12 to 18 units in the fall and spring terms you are regarded as a full-time student. You are assessed the current "flat" tuition rate for your school. If you are an undergraduate student enrolled for 11.5 or fewer units, you are considered part-time, and you are billed on a per-credit basis.

If you are a graduate student enrolled for 9 to 15 units in the fall and spring terms you are considered a full-time student, and are assessed the current graduate "flat" tuition rate for your school. If you are a graduate student enrolled for 8.5 or fewer units, you are considered part-time and are billed on a per-unit basis.

Undergraduate students are not permitted to enroll for more than 18 units or 15 units for graduate students, without the permission of the dean of the school in which the student is pursuing a degree.

Undergraduate students who enroll for more than 18 units and graduate students who enroll for more than 15 units will be billed on a per-unit basis for each additional unit that exceeds their full "flat" tuition rate.

You are billed on a per-unit basis in the summer term, with the exception of students enrolled in the Dental Medicine Undergraduate Program, Mining and Cooperative Engineering (undergraduate), and Graduate Business (full-time MBA).

Holds/Service indicators can be placed by a variety of University offices. If you have a restriction, you will be referred to the appropriate office to resolve the matter before you can enroll or transact any University business. Types of restrictions include academic, missing data, disciplinary, high school transcript, advising, immunization, and financial.

All students are assigned a seven digit Student System ID Number when they are admitted to the University. Some instructors may require you to include this number on your exams. You can find your Student System ID Number by logging into my.pitt.edu. Click on Student Center Login > Self Service > Student Center > Demographic Data link under the heading of Personal Information near the bottom of the screen.

Once you are admitted to the University, you will receive a computer account which includes a University email address. This email address is used for all official University communication, including notification of cancelled classes, emergency alerts, and ebills.

It is important that you check your University email periodically. While you may choose to have this email forwarded to a personal account, you should be aware that doing so may cause you to miss important information and deadlines.