Our Graduation/Diplomas service area works with University departments to process graduation. Graduation is not an automatic process. All students who are eligible for graduation need to apply for graduation through their Dean’s Office.
- If you are applying for a certificate program, a separate application for each certificate must be completed and turned into the owning program’s Dean’s Office.
- If you postpone your graduation you must reapply through your Dean’s Office by completing another graduation application for that term.
- Your name on your graduation application must be identical to the way it appears in PeopleSoft. You will be required to provide legal documentation to change your name. Acceptable forms of documentation are:
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Divorce Decree
- Formal Court Order
- Diploma address changes will be accepted up to one month prior to the end of your graduation term/session.
- For deadlines for graduation applications, contact your Dean’s Office.
- You must be in good financial standing with the University to receive your diploma.
Graduation with Honors
Undergraduate members of a graduating class who have attained an outstanding scholastic record may be graduated with University honors. To be eligible, a student must complete at least 60 letter-graded credits at the University of Pittsburgh. All degree-related course work completed at the University is calculated in the grade point average, GPAs are not rounded up. Receipt of University honors is based on having obtained the following grade point average at graduation:
Summa Cum Laude 3.75
Magna Cum Laude 3.50
Cum Laude 3.25
The honor status achieved by a student will appear on the student’s official University transcript and diploma.
- Diplomas will be mailed out at no charge approximately 6-8 weeks after the end of your term of graduation.
- Allow 30 days from the advertised ship date to consider the diploma lost for domestic mail, 90 days for international delivery.
- To declare a diploma lost, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All discrepancies should be brought to the attention the Office of the University Registrar immediately.
Reordering a Diploma
Additional copies or lost diplomas may be reordered anytime after graduation. To order a diploma, complete the Diploma Reorder Request Form. The form must be filled out, signed and returned, either in person or by mail, with payment to:
University of Pittsburgh Registrar's Office
139 University Place
G-3 Thackeray Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
To order a diploma, complete the Diploma Order Form
- The form must be completed, signed and returned by either mail or in person.
- The fee for each standard diploma (8.5x11 inches) is $25.00.
- First Professional diplomas are available in the standard sized diploma for $25.00 or 12x16 inches for $50.00.
- University Honors College diplomas are only available in the 14x17 inch size for $50.00.
- We regret that we cannot take electronic payments for a diploma at this time.
- The Office of the University Registrar does not keep copies of diplomas in our office.
- Diploma reorders will take approximately four weeks to be delivered.
- Diplomas will be in the current style, font and bear the signatures of the current administrators.