Our Graduation/Diplomas service area works with University departments to process graduation. Graduation is not an automatic process – all students who are eligible for graduation must submit an application to graduate.
Are you graduating with a bachelor’s degree?
Please tell the University about your experience during your time at Pitt by completing the University of Pittsburgh Senior Survey.
Applying for Graduation-
The deadline for undergraduate students to apply for December Graduation without the $25 late fee has been extended to October 3rd, 2023. Graduate students are not subject to a late fee.
To apply for graduation, complete the online application by logging into my.pitt.edu and following these instructions.
- If you are a student earning a degree in partnership with the Frederick Honors College, you do not need to apply separately for FHC recognition. The FHC program will automatically be added when you complete your graduation application.
- Contact your Dean’s Office if you’ve applied for graduation and need to postpone. Your Dean’s Office will let you know when to apply for subsequent terms.
- Your name on your graduation application must be identical to the way it appears in PeopleSoft. You will be required to provide legal documentation to change your name. Acceptable forms of documentation are:
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Divorce Decree
- Formal Court Order
- To ensure your diploma is routed to the correct address, you can update your Graduation Address through PeopleSoft up to one month prior to the end of your graduation term/session.
- Contact your Dean’s Office for deadlines and eligibility for graduation.
- You must be in good financial standing with the University to receive your diploma.
Graduation with Honors
Undergraduate members of a graduating class who have attained an outstanding scholastic record may be graduated with University honors. To be eligible, a student must complete at least 60 letter-graded credits at the University of Pittsburgh. All degree-related course work completed at the University is calculated in the grade point average, GPAs are not rounded up. Receipt of University honors is based on having obtained the following grade point average at graduation:
Summa Cum Laude 3.75
Magna Cum Laude 3.50
Cum Laude 3.25
The honor status achieved by a student will appear on the student’s official University transcript and diploma.
- Diplomas will be mailed out at no charge approximately 6-8 weeks after the end of your term of graduation.
- Allow 30 days from the advertised ship date to consider the diploma lost for domestic mail, 90 days for international delivery.
- To declare a diploma lost, please contact us email@example.com.
- All discrepancies should be brought to the attention the Office of the University Registrar immediately.
Reordering a Diploma
Additional copies or lost diplomas may be reordered any time after graduation. To order a replacement diploma please follow the instructions on the order page here.
- The order must be submitted by the student/alumni only, any order not submitted by the student/alumni will not be processed.
- A credit card is needed to complete the order.
- The fee for each standard diploma (8.5x11 inches) is $35.00 plus shipping.
- First Professional diplomas are available in the standard sized diploma for $35.00 or 12x16 inches for $60.00 plus shipping. First Professional diplomas are limited to the following degrees: JD, MD, DMD, MDS, BSPHR, PharmD, MBA PhD and EdD.
- University Honors College diplomas are only available in the 14x17 inch size for $60.00 plus shipping.
- Majors are not printed on the diploma.
- The Office of the University Registrar does not keep copies of diplomas in our office.
- Standard diploma reorders will take approximately four weeks to be delivered and does not contain tracking. Standard orders are sent via ground shipping. For an additional cost diplomas can be expedited, expedited shipping contains tracking.
- Diplomas will be in the current style, font and bear the signatures of the current administrators.