COVID-19 Grading Update - 2020 Spring Term

The University is adopting a significant level of flexibility in course grading for this term. After the conclusion of this term, all undergraduate and graduate students will be permitted to convert any of their courses during this spring term from a letter grade basis to a satisfactory (S)/no credit (NC) basis. Moreover, all courses that are awarded S grades will count toward graduation/degree requirements and satisfy future course prerequisites, while those courses awarded NC grades will not negatively impact a student's GPA. We understand that this challenging situation may pose unforeseen obstacles. While your instructor and Pitt IT will work with you on challenges, if they prove to be temporarily unsurmountable, faculty will award incomplete (G) grades as a last resort. Read more from Provost Ann E. Cudd

Grade Deadlines

The University has an official grade deadline for each session and/or term; however the grade posting process begins at an earlier date. Grade posting will begin the same day that rosters have been made available for grading.  Once grades have been posted, grade changes must be submitted via the Grade Change Request workflow in the student system and processed through the proper Dean's Office. For semester grade due dates, please refer to the Academic Calendar .

Grade Rosters

In order to record grades online, please log into the portal, click on "Faculty Center Login" (which can be found on the right side menu). Once there, click on Self Service and then, Faculty Center where the Grade Rosters will appear once they have been generated for the current term. If you require detailed help, click on 'Learn More' (listed under the Faculty Center Login).

Recording Final Student Grades 
Recording Mid-Term Student Grades

For more information about accessing Grade or Class Rosters in PeopleSoft/HighPoint CX, consult the User Guide on the PeopleSoft Training page.

Commonly asked questions about grade rosters:

  • I do not have access to my grade roster? Contact your department administrator for assistance or check the Academic Calendar to see when rosters are generated. 
  • A student is missing from my roster? If the student was a late add after rosters were created, contact the Grades Team at 412-624-7623.
  • When can I add my upload my grades from Blackboard to PeopleSoft? Grades cannot be imported from Canvas until PeopleSoft grade rosters have been generated.

Submitting and Approving Grade Change Requests

 Grade Changes for students can be submitted online through the portal. Once the grade change request is submitted, the grade change request is routed into a workflow for authorized academic center representatives to approve the grade changes; once approved, the Registrar’s Office finalizes the transaction. Both faculty and approvers are able to view where the grade change resides in the workflow, and faculty receive email notifications once the requests have been processed. The final step in the workflow is the grade change request is approved the Office of the University Registrar. 

Consistent with university policy 09-01-04, if the instructor is unavailable to submit a grade change, the department chairperson may submit in place of the instructor. 

Faculty Grade Change Submission
Faculty Grade Change Submission (Video)

Academic Center Grade Change Approval
Academic Center Grade Change Approval (Video)

Department Chair Grade Change Submission
Department Chair Grade Change Submission (Video)

Importing Grades from Canvas to PeopleSoft

Importing grades from PeopleSoft to Canvas is possible.

Grades in the Current Grade Column in Canvas will be imported into PeopleSoft. Any discrepancies between the student data in Canvas/PeopleSoft will be displayed on an error report within the grade roster. Once errors have been resolved and all students have received a grade, remember to set the roster in an ‘Approved’ status so the grades can be posted.  At this time grades cannot be uploaded from a spreadsheet directly into PeopleSoft.

Grading System

Grading System Chart

Grade Option

Within the policy of the individual academic units, faculty may decide to offer a course under one of the following available course grade options:

LG - Letter Grade.
H/S/U - Honors/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.
S/NC - Satisfactory/No Credit.
LG and H/S/U - Letter Grade and Honors/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.
LG and S/NC - Letter Grade and Satisfactory/No Credit.
H/HS/S/LS/U - Honors/High Satisfactory/Satisfactory/Low Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (School of Medicine only).
S/U - Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (School of Medicine only).

A student may choose any of the grading options available for the course offered. A student may audit any course with the permission of the instructor and the academic center offering the course. 

Grading Options: Policy 09-01-03

Course Repeat

A student may repeat any course in which a grade of B- or lower is received if an authorization to repeat the course is given by the student’s advisor and/or department. A school may restrict the type and/or number of different courses that may be repeated during one degree program. The grade earned by repeating a course is used in lieu of the grade originally earned, although the original grade is not erased from the transcript. No course may be repeated more than twice. No sequence course may be repeated for credit after a more advanced course in that sequence has been passed with a B or higher grade. The repeated course must be the same as that in which the original grade was earned. In extenuating circumstances, a department chair, with the dean’s approval, may substitute another course of similar content. Grades of W, R, N, or NC reported for the repeated course will not be counted as a course repeat. To initiate only the last course grade being computed in the GPA, a Course Repeat form must be filed with the dean’s office.

Course Subtitles

Only Independent Study and Directed Study course types may have subtitles as they pertain to the individual student's academic study. Course instructors should complete the Course Subtitle for Directed/Independent Study form and submit it to the dean's office of the school offering the course for approval. Once approved, the Office of the University Registrar will add the subtitle to the student's course. Subtitles are limited to 35 characters.