• Pitt Home
  • Registrar Home
  • Contact


Our Grades service area provides grading support to University students, faculty, and staff. The University has an 'official grade deadline' for each session and/or term; however the grade posting process begins at an earlier date. Grade posting will begin the same day that rosters have been made available for grading. Grade information, including grade changes, will continue to be available online using the Student Services Community in my.pitt.edu. Questions about the actual grade awarded should be directed to the individual instructor or the department chairperson. Once grades have been posted, update requests must be submitted via the Grade Change Request forms and processed through the proper Dean's Office. Changes to your record will appear as they are received and processed. For individual grade due dates, please refer to the Academic Calendar.

Students can access their grades in their PeopleSoft Student Center via the my.pitt.edu portal. Once logged into the portal, click on Student Center Login, and then navigate to Self Service > Student Center, select 'other academic...' in the drop down box, select Grades, click on double arrows to continue to Grades screen, select the proper term and click Continue.

If grade verification is needed for employer reimbursement, or for any other reason, you can obtain a copy of your transcript online by either clicking on Order Transcripts/Enrollment Verifications in the my.pitt.edu portal (for current students) or by navigating to the Transcripts/Verifications area of our website (for former students). You can also visit our Transcripts/Verifications service in G-3 Thackeray Hall to obtain a copy of your transcript. If you have any outstanding financial obligations to the University, a financial hold will be placed on your record and you will not be able to view your grades or receive a copy of your transcript until payment arrangements are completed. Once your financial hold has been released, you will be able to access grades and transcript services.

The Office of the University Registrar is pleased to announce new functionality within the PeopleSoft student administration system that allows for the electronic submission of grade change requests. Once submitted, the requests are routed into a workflow for authorized academic center representatives to approve the grade changes; once approved, the Registrar’s Office finalizes the transaction. Both faculty and approvers are able to view where the grade change resides in the workflow, and faculty receive email notifications once the requests have been processed.

Consistent with university policy 09-01-04, if the instructor is unavailable to submit a grade change, the department chairperson may submit in place of the instructor.

The Office of the University Registrar would like to announce new functionality to import final grades from Blackboard to PeopleSoft. A new button has been added to PeopleSoft grade rosters and with a simple click, student grades will be automatically imported! Any discrepancies between the student data in Blackboard/PeopleSoft will be displayed on an error report within the grade roster. Once errors have been resolved and all students have received a grade, remember to set the roster in an ‘Approved’ status so the grades can be posted.

Please note the following:
• Grades cannot be imported from Blackboard until PeopleSoft grade rosters have been generated.
• Grades cannot be uploaded from a spreadsheet directly into PeopleSoft

There are a few steps faculty will need to complete within Blackboard to set an External Grade Column in preparation for grades to be imported – instructions for completing this setup are linked below.

In order to record grades online, please log into the my.pitt.edu portal, click on "Faculty Center Login" (which can be found on the right side menu). Once there, click on Self Service and then, Faculty Center where the Grade Rosters will appear once they have been generated for the current term. If you require detailed help, before you click on Faculty Center Login, click on 'Learn More' (listed under the Faculty Center Login). The online links, Recording Final Student Grades Online and Recording Mid-Term Student Grades, allows you to choose either a PDF file or a video on how to record grades.

Grade Quality Points Description Grade Notes
A+ 4.00
A 4.00
A- 3.75
B+ 3.25
B 3.00
B- 2.75
C+ 2.25
C 2.00
C- 1.75
D+ 1.25
D 1.00
D- 0.75
F 0.00
G 0.00 Unfinished Course Work (Ongoing) Class work unfinished because of extenuating personal circumstances. A "G" grade is given by an instructor when class work is unfinished because of extenuating personal circumstances. When given a "G" grade, you are usually instructed to complete some clearly defined work (e.g. a final examination paper) within a specified period of time. The "G" must be completed no later than one year after the term or session in which the class was taken. You should not request or be given a "G" grade if, in actuality, you need to repeat the course. See "Course Repeat" for more information. Once the deadline has passed, the "G" grade will automatically change to "NG" and will no longer appear as “in progress” on a student record. The "NG" grade will remain on the record and the student will be required to re-register for the course if it is needed to fulfill requirements for graduation.

Contact your instructor for details
H 0.00 Honors Honors (Exceptional) completion of class requirements
HS 0.00 High Satisfactory Used by School of Medicine only
I 0.00 Incomplete Incomplete class work due to the nature of the course, clinical work, or incomplete research work in individual guidance courses or seminars. An "I" grade is also issued by the instructor, and differs from a "G" grade. It is issued in the case of ongoing study such as incomplete research, work in individual guidance classes, clinical work or seminars.
LS 0.00 Low Satisfactory Used by School of Medicine only
N 0.00 Audit Non-credit. "N" grades do not count toward a student's degree, grade point average or academic progress for purposes of financial aid eligibility.
NC 0.00 No Credit Non-credit
NG 0.00 No Credit, Unfinished Course Work (Expired) Class work unfinished because of extenuating personal circumstances – work is no longer considered to be in progress.
R 0.00 Resignation Student resigned from the University for this term
S 0.00 Satisfactory Satisfactory completion of class requirements
T 0.00 Transfer Transfer credit grade
U 0.00 Unsatisfactory Unsatisfactory completion of class requirements
G 0.00 Unfinished Course Work Class work unfinished because of extenuating personal circumstances
W 0.00 Withdrawal To withdraw from a class after the official end of the add/drop period while still enrolled in other courses, you must process a Monitored Withdrawal Request form through the dean's office of the academic center offering the course. If approved, a grade of "W" will be recorded on your transcript for that course. "W" grades do not count toward a student's degree or grade point average. There is no tuition adjustment associated with a course withdrawal.
Z 0.00 Invalid Grade Invalid Grade Reported

Within the policy of the individual academic units, faculty may decide to offer a course under one of the following available course grade options:

  • LG - Letter Grade
  • H/S/U - Honors/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
  • S/NC - Satisfactory/No Credit
  • LG and H/S/U - Letter Grade and Honors/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
  • LG and S/NC - Letter Grade and Satisfactory/No Credit
  • H/HS/S/LS/U - Honors/High Satisfactory/Satisfactory/Low Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (School of Medicine only)
  • S/U - Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (School of Medicine only)

A student may choose any of the grading options available for the course offered. A student may audit any course with the permission of the instructor and the academic center offering the course. The Grade Option/Audit Request form can be found in the Grades Resources section of this page. For more information regarding the grade option/audit request process and dates for which the request must be entered, refer to the policy below.

If a current class appears on your transcript or through your Student Center, without a grade, this can be the result of two separate issues:

1) The Electronic Grade Roster has not been graded or posted, please check with your Instructor for an approximate date of the grade posting.

2) A late registration into the class, which has resulted in a grade not yet issued. Follow-up with your Instructor until the grade appears.

Consult your dean's office for the proper procedure of repeating a class and for information on how this will affect your grades and the calculation of your Grade Point Average (GPA). When you repeat a class, you must officially enroll and pay for the class again. University policy prohibits any student from attending a class without being officially enrolled for that class. A repeated course, has a notation appearing underneath the previous course taken designating that it is excluded from the GPA. The original course and grade will always remain on your record/transcript. The Course Repeat form can be found in the Grades Resources section of this page.

Only Independent Study and Directed Study course types may have subtitles as they pertain to the individual student's academic study. Course instructors should complete the course subtitle or directed/independent study form and submit it to the dean's office of the school offering the course for approval. Once approved, the Office of the University Registrar will add the subtitle to the student's course. Subtitles are limited to 35 characters. The Course Subtitle form can be found in the Grades Resources section of this page.

Grades Resources

Contact Us

University of Pittsburgh
G-3 Thackeray Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15260

Stay Connected